University of Bristol A Cappella Society Committee Meeting – Sunday 4th December at 3pm

Present:

  • Dan Mailer – President
  • Matthew Belsey – Treasurer and Equality Officer
  • Justine Laurain – Musical Admin
  • Iain Hallam – Mixed Chorus Rep
  • Nathalie Perthuisot – Pitch Fight Rep
  • Nicolas Audinet – Academy Rep
  • Scott Lechleiter – Brizzlebox Rep

In Attendance:

  • Joe Pickin – Vice-President and Suspensions Rep

1. Apologies

– Lauren Garner-Jackson – Secretary

– Jess Kim – Social Secretary

– Sam Butler – HotTUBBS Rep

– Tash Orchant – Gigs Co-ordinator

– Helen Frawley – Publicity Co-ordinator

– Karen Lillywhite – Upper Voices Rep

2. Previous Meetings Minutes

– Lots of people read them

– “Wonderful” – Dan

3. Treasurer’s Report

– Nothing really to report that Matthew can think of.

4. Actions Update

– For the love of God, Academy and HotTUBBS upload a photo to facebook!

– Dan’s visiting groups this week to film the trailer

– Jess has a “tentative place” (lol) for the performers’ afterparty

– TUBBS rehearsal venue for next term is provisionally booked and Dan is sorting it

– James Dempsey is coming with Suspensions to the Fringe #favouritism

– Mics are booked for the Christmas show!

– Everything has a jingle now for some reason

5. Group Reps’ Report

5.1 Suspensions

– They have been making lots of money with gigs and busking!

– £920 in 7 days whaaaat.

– They had an awkward gig in Wills Memorial Great Hall as no one listened lol.

– They did a nice gig in Bath for a charity and got a free glass of champagne.

5.2 Pitch Fight

– They have improvised/arranged lots of easy Christmas songs for busking!

– They are not going to the Fringe unfortunately.

– They want to switch their soundcheck time.

– They went ice skating! Oooh

5.3 Academy

– They have been focusing on choreo the past week.

– They want Dan to tell them off/coach them.

– Fringe is looking unlikely.

5.4 HotTUBBS

– Sam isn’t here.

– They have a logo!

5.5 TUBBS

– Venue is booked for Fringe!

– 15:10-16:10 every day in week 3.

– BUJO are being very quiet about the gig on Tuesday but Eleanor says they’re coming!

– Apparently the band doesn’t know they’re doing it yet… Let’s hope they turn up!

5.6 Brizzlebox

– Very weak jingle followed by a good one.

– Scott can confirm all members will be at their soundcheck.

– They rehearsed next to a meditation group lol.

6. Ensembles Showcase

– Lauren wants to get a venue now!

– Date is Tuesday 6th June.

– Committee is thinking about getting AR2 bar because that was quite nice last time, and it’s cheap.

– The Union’s not taking special events bookings right now, but let’s book it when they’re open!

Review of last ensembles showcase:

Pros:

– It was nice to be in a pub, with a good choice of food + drink

– It was nice not to have a time-constraint

– Good location

– Free

– Lots of mixing from different groups

Cons:

– Lack of chairs

– Expensive food + drink

– Scott thinks not enough people were messaging in the event page to try and find groups – Dan thinks he made it clear

– Not that many groups performed – 10

– Suspensions had to disappear – maybe worth asking groups not to book gigs for 6th June now they know the date

[Mike just arrived]

7. Performing Arts Gets Pissed

– It’s a big social with all the performing arts societies.

– Dan and Lauren were offended our Society wasn’t invited, but then Dan found out people asked Joe and Stan who the social sec of A Cappella Soc was, and they told them to contact Jess – was Jess contacted or not?

– It would be nice to be invited to PA gets poshed too.

ACTION:

  • Scott ask Jess whether she knew about the invite

8. Upcoming Events

8.1 Christmas Meal

– Dress code is smart but people want to know what that means.

– “Black tie optional” is apparently clear.

– Regarding money for this, Wildwood is going to bill the table and Matthew will pay it and then claim it back

– The start time is 7pm so y’all don’t miss the nibbles.

8.2 Christmas Show

– Emily from Pitch Fight can’t make the show because of the clash with singers.

– Soundcheck times:

  • Pitch Fight have 2 people who can’t make their slot
  • Brizzlebox are going to do 30 mins instead
  • 13:30 – 14:30 Pitch Fight
  • 14:30 – 15:30 Academy

– Committee thinks the slots allocated for groups are quite generous e.g. Upper voices will only need 10 mins not 15.

– Eleanor’s issue: she doesn’t think TUBBS needs a soundcheck, just stage familiarisation.

– HotTUBBS should have a proper soundcheck since they’re using lighting and things.

– Dan thinks the Society has the Pegg so will be able to move between rooms as much as we want.

– Apparently there will be lots of lights left up from panto so lots of things to play with!

– Tickets are on sale and 12 have been sold wooo!

ACTION:

  • Group reps remind members about selling tickets!

– Do we want programmes? Bio not setlists.

ACTION:

  • Group reps send a bio to Dan for the programme (100 words max)

ACTION:

  • Dan design programme for Christmas show

ACTION:

  • Helen print out 250 programmes once they’re done

– Do we want a compere? Yes! Joe is going to ask some people from improv.

ACTION:

  • Joe find a compere from improv

– The compere doesn’t need to close the show.

9. Booking Requests

9.1 Andrew Marchesi Quartet Booking

– Karen is sorting it.

– Out of term time gig society takes 20% which equals £15.

10. AOB

– Matthew – everyone fill in the doodle poll now! NOW!

– Nathalie – buy Panto tickets!

– Nic – it would be cool if the committee performed a song for the Summer Ensembles showcase!

11. Cake Rota

– Scott

12. A Cappella Song Rota

– Joe

– Scott chose “Words” by the Real Group and strongly recommends listening to it with headphones!