University of Bristol A Cappella Society Committee Meeting – Sunday 22nd January at 12pm

Present:

  • Dan Mailer – President
  • Joe Pickin – Vice President and Suspensions Rep
  • Matthew Belsey – Treasurer and Equality Officer
  • Tash Orchant – Gigs Co-ordinator and Equality Officer
  • Karen Lillywhite – Upper Voices Rep
  • Iain Hallam – Mixed Chorus Rep
  • Nathalie Perthuisot – Pitch Fight Rep
  • Scott Lechleiter – Brizzlebox Rep
  • Nicolas Audinet – Academy Rep

In Attendance:

  • Lauren Garner-Jackson – Secretary

1. Apologies

– Helen Frawley – Publicity Co-ordinator

 – Justine Laurain – Musical Admin

– Jess Kim – Social Secretary

– Mike Blitz – Lower Voices Rep

– Sam Butler – HotTUBBS Rep

2. Previous Meetings Minutes

– Hardly anyone read them and Lauren is annoyed because the website was being really stupid when she put them up

3. Treasurer’s Report

– Matthew went through the accounts to make sure we actually know how much the Society has

– He’s made a lovely spreadsheet

– We have bare moneyz available in the account, which can be spent all on the ball yeah? *wink wink

– £3413.64 available to spend (not all on microphones Dan)

– The Society got £510 from the Virgin Media deal

ACTION:

  • Matthew and Nathalie to check PantoSoc has paid for mic hire

ACTION:

  • Matthew to look into signatories

4. Actions Update

– The Showcase videos still need uploading to Youtube

– Dan has received the videos from the Winston Show in an annoying format so he will distribute them soon

– Committee needs to remember to complete actions on Trello

– The equality survey has been completed so it needs releasing soon

– Stuff still needs doing

5. Group Reps’ Report

5.1 Suspensions

– Not much has happened since last meeting

– They are looking at buying matching outfits so it’s not mis-matched maroon

– The guys won’t match the girls though

– ‘It’s a step in the right direction’ – Joe

– They are preparing for ICCAs – so many rehearsals

– Movie options – Shark Tale, Chicago, Mean Girls

5.2 Pitch Fight

– They have loads of new arrangements

– Intensive ICCA rehearsals are going to happen

– They are going to make sure everyone wears the same shade of purple

– They are meeting with the Liquid 5th guy straight after Suspensions are

– Movie options – Frozen, Charlie’s Angels, Moulin Rouge

5.3 Academy

– They have more songs coming up

– They want to put out a video on social media for Valentine’s Day

– Hopefully not Shrek!

– Joe suggests that they could recreate the scene where they blow up a toad and snake – so romantic

– Committee is sad that Academy has not entered VoiceFest #2018FTW

– Movie options – Shrek

– Nicolas is happy with Helen being added as an admin to fb group so all group reps should go ahead with doing that

– Committee reminds group reps once again to send a deputy in their absence

5.4 HotTUBBS

– Committee reminds group reps to make sure their deputy knows what to talk about

– Movie options – Pinocchio, Star Wars

5.5 TUBBS

– Rehearsals have been informal so far due to exams

– The lecture theatre heating is still broken but it has been reported

– Tash was in there on Thursday and it was boiling apparently

– The refreshers’ rehearsal is on Tuesday

– The fb event needs boosting

ACTION:

  • Iain to boost fb event

– A second room for rehearsals is not available before 6pm every week as it is during ‘core teaching hours’

– Rooms are available, but there have been noise complaints before so the Society isn’t LFM’s best friend at the moment

– 6pm onwards should be fine

ACTION:

  • Dan to book TUBBS rooms for 6pm

– Movie options – Shaun of the Dead, Wayne’s World, Shrek, Hobbit

5.6 Brizzlebox

– Auditions are on 2nd Feb

– They are looking for 1, maybe 2 new members

– They are targeting current members through the fb members group

– They are also working on a logo

– Scott is showing Committee a weird video of them using the loop pedal

– Movie options – Fun with Dick and Jane

6. 10th Anniversary Concert

– 6th May 2017

– Alumni have been told

– There are questions over whether it is the Society’s concert or TUBBS’ concert

– The Society could host the concert in celebration of TUBBS’ 10th anniversary

– The Society needs a spring show anyway

– It is believed the name TUBBS is being hung up on too much

– TUBBS used to be more than just a chorus, as there were lots of quartets and some ensembles that came out of the Society as well as the current TUBBS chorus

– Constitutionally the Society is 10 years old, but structurally it isn’t necessarily

– The Society can celebrate it’s 10th anniversary and the groups can celebrate their own anniversaries separately

– TUBBS would then not really be able to separately celebrate their anniversary as it will always be the same age as the Society

– This may be more of a consideration for the future, as no-one knows what future committees will want

– Events throughout the year could celebrate the anniversaries instead of just one event

– Another viewpoint is that the Society has evolved from TUBBS to UOBACS – it is still the same Society from start to finish, just with a different name

– For the unity of the Society, it would be beneficial for this to be a whole Society celebration

– Dan’s getting egotistically big-headed (in the nicest possible way)

– ‘A celebration of the Dan Mailer Society’

– Scott’s still in 2016

– Committee has concluded that this is the Society’s 10th anniversary

– Theatres rather than churches would be better for venues

– There could be radio mics if the show is in a theatre

– The Winston might be available

– It might be worth looking at the Vic Rooms, though the date might clash with recitals

ACTION:

  • Karen to look into Vic Rooms booking contact

ACTION:

  • Tash to talk to Conferences Office

ACTION:

  • Dan to chat to Ben about Winston

– It would be better to have several people organising it rather than one person

– The AGM will have been about a month before

– The organising team will have to carry on until the concert as it is not fair on the new committee to take over the organisation a month before the show

7. Ball

– Lauren asked at The Square and the reply and quote weren’t to her satisfaction so she’s emailed them for more specific details

– The Radisson Blu is close to the budget Matthew has set out

– Ball committee members are going to visit the Radisson on Wednesday to see the venue – how exciting

– The Society might be able to spend a little more to allow us to go to the Radisson because it’s fairly ideal

– The theme is Hollywood/Oscars

8. Upcoming Events

8.1 Scavenger Hunt

– Scott is Deputy Jess

– Lauren will wait until after the 25th to chat to Jess about challenges due to Jess’ busy schedule

– It would be good for group reps to physically tell their members about upcoming events as well as posting in fb members groups

– The Upcoming Events agenda item can include all groups’ upcoming gigs/events so members from all groups can use this as a list to promote to their members

– They do not necessarily need discussing in meetings

8.2 Suspensions 29th April Gig

9. Booking Requests

10. AOB

10.1 Risers

– They are still in the Winston Theatre and need removing ASAP

– Iain can bring round his car later today at 7pm

– There is more Society stuff in the Winston that could possibly stay there until we have our music room locker because they aren’t big items

10.2 Locker

– The porters don’t have a locker key for the music room

– Dan emailed Monika to sort it out

– They won’t charge us this time for cutting a new key – how generous

10.3 Equality Survey

– Tash and Matthew have done it

– Dan has taken some things off it that weren’t yet necessary

ACTION:

  • Matthew and Tash to post survey in members’ group

ACTION:

  • Dan to send survey in email

10.4 Dollar Dollar Dollar

– Dan doesn’t like the fact we have loads of money sitting there

– We should spend it for the benefit of the members

– Karen’s dad watched the TUBBS Christmas concert and thought the sound quality wasn’t great

– The Society could get a better sound system for concerts

– They are not that much money to buy

– There is much talk of technical things that Lauren does not really understand

– The Society could use them for Showcases, and any venues without recording equipment

ACTION:

  • Karen to look into recording sound equipment

– More mics could be bought with some of the money

– Dan wants to buy 2 more

– The ultimate aim is to have 16, and there are currently 9

– Mic hire is starting to take off which is bringing back in some money

– An Alumni grant could possibly be a source of funding for mics

– For the ball, Committee agrees Matthew should be painted gold and be an Oscar’s statue for the night to save money

– Once the ball committee has visited the Radisson on Wednesday, it should become clearer how much the Society needs to spend on the ball

10.5 Constitution

– Committee needs to have a separate meeting soon to discuss potential changes to the Constitution

ACTION:

  • Lauren to create Constitution meeting doodle poll

10.6 AGM

– Preferably before Easter

– Tuesday 14th March

10.7 Room Bookings

– Joe wants to be sure everyone is happy with their room bookings

– Pitch Fight is looking for somewhere 6-8pm

– Groups are reminded to keep rooms tidy at the end of rehearsals

11. Cake Rota

– Dan (double because he forgot this week)

12. A Cappella Song Rota

– Someone

– Justine chose Heavenly Father by Bon Iver