University of Bristol A Cappella Society Committee Meeting – Tuesday 21st February at 8pm

Present:

  • Dan Mailer – President
  • Lauren Garner-Jackson – Secretary
  • Tash Orchant – Gigs Co-ordinator and Equality Officer
  • Jess Kim – Social Sec
  • Scott Lechleiter – Brizzlebox Rep
  • Karen Lillywhite – Upper Voices Rep
  • Mike Blitz – Lower Voices Rep
  • Nicolas Audinet – Academy Rep
  • Sam Butler – HotTUBBS Rep
  • Connie Richards – Deputy Pitch Fight Rep

In Attendance:

  • Matthew Belsey – Treasurer and Equality Officer

1. Apologies

– Helen Frawley – Publicity Co-ordinator

– Justine Laurain – Musical Admin

– Joe Pickin – Vice-President and Suspensions Rep

– Iain Hallam – Mixed Chorus Rep

– Nathalie Perthuisot – Pitch Fight Rep

2. Previous Meetings Minutes

– Everyone read them (really?!) as per lol

– They’re fab as per

– Mike and Karen didn’t

– 9.5/10 from Tash

3. Treasurer’s Report

– For future reference, people can only make 1 claim per person per week from the Union

– There is a steady income from mic hire

– Committee then debates the definition of ‘steady’

– The Ball deposit will be paid on Wednesday

ACTION:

  • Matthew to find out if Panto have paid mic hire

4. Actions Update

– People have stuff to do.

– People still haven’t done stuff ARRGGGHHH

– Matthew got his way regarding the creation of a society budget

– Lauren is trying to tell Matthew how to do her job. RUDE.

– £166.80-£1054 quoted for a recording mic from Karen’s daddy

– E614 is the cheapest Sennheiser at £166.80

– Entry level Sennheiser MK4 mic is £286.80 (Karen recommends this)

– Neumann TLM 102 has no price, unless Matthew just didn’t catch it since he was flapping quite a bit at this stage, much to Lauren’s enjoyment!

– The Society needs to get a zoom/Tascam recorder but we could borrow (read steal) a Vic Rooms one or Karen’s

– Tash isn’t a proud supporter of Walkers crisps

ACTION:

  • Matthew look at how all this equipment fits into how much money we have including more radio mics OK DAN CALM DOWN THE OTHER GROUPS WANT STUFF TOO.

5. Group Reps’ Report

5.1. Suspensions

– Candide is being problematic

– They had 7 members missing the other day

– They’re missing 5 people at tomorrow’s rehearsal

– Dan is having ICCA set drama

– Groups should be careful when busking as someone’s purse was stolen on Saturday

5.2. Pitch Fight

– They are starting a new arrangement WAIT FOR IT (wait for it)

– They hope to finally go busking tomorrow

– VFUK results are out this week arrgggh

– T-shirts and an altered logo are being sorted

– Jess says ‘we don’t like yours’ to Dan

– They are not doing the BBC audition now – sad times – but are doing the Sky one yea

5.3. Academy

– They learnt a new song: Seasons of Same Love oooooo

– They are thinking of going for the Sky show too

– They are thinking of going busking

5.4. HotTUBBS

– They are doing Chandelier

– It sounds sick

– They are getting merch

– They are also thinking of going busking

– Boom. Great stuff.

5.5. TUBBS

– There is lots of interest in tour.

– They have got a show name that Lauren jokingly came up with – ‘Cheap Trills’

– Apparently they have a concert and workshop with Tonic and Bristol Fashion but a couple of MDs are having an issue with the date.

– There is no venue yet

– They want to change the date to the week after or 2 weeks after.

– They are considering changing the start time of rehearsals.

– Only 7 people were there at 5pm whaaaaa.

– Get ur act together people.

– There wasn’t full TUBBS til like 17:30.

– It could be changed to start at 5:30pm and go until 8 but that sounds loooooong.

– The important thing is that they should split on time but then that gets affected by break time

– There needs to be a TUBBS committee meeting

– They need publicity for the March concert

5.6. Brizzlebox

– Not much new to talk about

– Connie hasn’t been to a rehearsal yet but her first rehearsal is on Friday woooo

– They have started doing some new material maybe MORE HAMILTON

6. Natwest Account

– There’s £691.81 in TUBBS Account.

– This is the society’s money.

– CLARIFICATION: IN TERMS OF MONEY TUBBS AND THE SOCIETY ARE ONE ENTITY.

– IF TUBBS NEED MONEY THEY CAN USE SOCIETY MONEY i.e. for Fringe.

– This clarification should be made clear to all future Treasurers.

7. Equality Survey Results

– Dan talks about the results

– Intrasociety cohesion is a key problem. How can Committee improve this?

  • Intersociety concerts
  • All singing joint songs at concerts
  • It doesn’t have to be every group together – it can be two groups together
  • It doesn’t have to include every single person if they don’t want to. But it’s a shame if everyone isn’t involved.
  • One view is that these changes need to go beyond just singing one song per term as a whole Society
  • It would be good to see members singing together to socialise
  • A song all members know would be good to have and be known as a Society Song
  • Does it have to be serious? We could run a social and before that we could learn a song then go for a drink.
  • Performing songs to each other could be an idea
  • Can we organise a workshop as the Society as a whole where we get someone in to run it. Isn’t that a bit too late for this Committee? Probably
  • Committee needs to do something for the 10th anniversary concert NOW.
  • Defying gravity needs to be distributed NOW
  • ACTION:

  • Karen/Mike to distribute Defying Gravity to all the groups so we can get learning it
  • We could give a date for a general rehearsal to learn the song? But Dan doesn’t want to force other groups to do certain things in their rehearsals.
  • Learning a song together would be good because it gives us a social.
  • One rehearsal every term like the original first taster in September for absolutely everyone would be good

– People wanted to see arranging workshops on Saturdays but the last workshop was arranging on a Saturday and hardly anyone went lol.

– Maybe people just can’t be bothered.

– Maybe these could use a little more publicity but maybe not spamming

– Tash wants to know if there is a vegan option to the spam!

– Just behind Saturday was Wednesday.

– This Committee will talk about this with the new Committee.

– Bristol Suspensions is very white apparently

– The main thing to get from this is that it will be discussed with new the Committee

– Anonymous suggestions on the website has been suggested

– Members of Committee are surprised to discover they all have their own email addresses for their positions – wow

– Scott- suggests that there should be a manual telling people who to contact in what situation.

– But where should this go?

– GO LOOK ON THE WEBSITE.

– Transparency in auditions – the auditioned groups need to be more transparent with how their auditions process runs.

– There is a question of whether the Society should formalise auditions

– Connie panicked slightly at the start of the year when she was faced with holding auditions

– Should Committee/MDs write an audition handbook?

– This will be brought up with the new Committee.   

8. Accreditation Scheme Update

– COLLABORATION – Dan has submitted the collaboration gold one because the Society has collaborated with 3 groups

– EQUALITY AND DIVERSITY – submitted bronze and done silver (needs to be submitted) and Matthew and Tash need to do the report and one-year plan.

– One of them need to attend an equality/diversity event.

– FUN – the Union page has been done, and the Society has done one taster session which puts the Society on track for the gold accreditation for fun.

– The Society needs 70% satisfaction in the Union’s survey to get gold.

– REPRESENTATION – we need to clearly advertise the AGM. Done.

– Dan needs to go to 3 Union Student Council meetings and has been to 2 so the new President will go to the last one

– We need to publish the AGM minutes and updated Constitution on the Union webpage.

– SUSTAINABILITY- Handover docs need to be handed in and the Society needs to break even.

ACTION:

  • Matthew write Sustainability statement and report.

– Then Committee needs to act on its goals

– The Society’s defo able to get gold wooooo!

– We have to get 3 golds and a silver to get gold overall.

9. Access to Bristol Scheme – Bristol SU

– The Union is looking for demos/workshops on Wednesday 1st March, 3-4:30pm.

– Can anyone do this?

– This is part of ‘Access to Bristol’.

– They are looking for something interactive.

– TUBBS and Academy might be able to

ACTION:

  • Karen/Nic check and get back to Dan before 5pm.

10. Upcoming Events

10.1. Socials

10.1.1. Scavenger Hunt

  • Dominos do 50% off pizza as long as it’s extra large.
  • There will be a form going up tonight due 3pm on Thursday. £5 each.
  • Challenge sheets will be printed out.
  • Dan can print them with his free photocopying in Vic Rooms. 15 printed.

10.1.2. Movie Night

ACTION:

  • Jess make an event for movie night
  • Castle Room booked from 8pm
  • Friday 10th March

10.1.3. Ball

  • Meeting tomorrow.
  • Matthew reminds the Ball Committee to make sure they check the budget for decorations etc.
  • The deadline for giving the Radisson numbers is 1 week on Friday
  • Committee needs to buy tickets ASAP
  • Committee and reps need to start promo ASAP
  • The actual deadline is 2 weeks before so Committee needs to decide a ticket deadline before.
  • Group reps plugplugplug

10.1.4. Last Committee Meeting

  • Outgoing Committee gets wrecked (or not if people don’t drink of course)
  • Committee needs to find a date.
  • Just after Easter?
  • ACTION:

  • Lauren do a doodle poll

10.2. 10th Anniversary Concert

– Anson rooms/Station/Vic Rooms are not available

– Maybe the Winston, but STA can’t crew it.

– Tash is having a meeting with SU to discuss if they can crew it

10.3. Suspensions 29th April Gig

10.4. TUBBS Spring Concert

– TUBBS Committee is deciding a date

10.5 AGM

– This is happening.

– There needs to be 31 people there so group reps need to promo to their groups.

– TUBBS should vote for their group reps in rehearsals.

– Groups also need to get group reps but this isn’t at the AGM.

– Members will vote on the Constitution changes before the Committee position vote.

ACTION:

  • Sort out Committee posting on the members’ page.

11. Booking Requests

12. AOB

13. Cake Rota

– Sam

14. A Cappella Song Rota

– Lauren

– Joe chose I Want Crazy by Home Free

– Bonus video of your President from 4 years ago for getting to the end of the minutes! https://www.facebook.com/ruby.finch.528/videos/128591870649065/?pnref=story