University of Bristol A Cappella Society Committee Meeting – Sunday 13th November at 8pm

Present:

  • Dan Mailer – President
  • Joe Pickin – Vice-President and Suspensions Rep
  • Matthew Belsey – Treasurer and Equality Officer
  • Jess Kim – Social Secretary
  • Nicolas Audinet – Academy Rep
  • Mike Blitz – Lower Voices Rep
  • Iain Hallam – Mixed Chorus Rep
  • Karen Lillywhite – Upper Voices Rep
  • Sam Butler – HotTUBBS Rep
  • Nathalie Perthuisot – Pitch Fight Rep
  • Scott Lechleiter – Brizzle Box Rep
  • James Dempsey

In Attendance:

  • Lauren Garner-Jackson – Secretary

1. Apologies

– Tash Orchant – Gigs Co-ordinator and Equality Officer

– Justine Laurain – Musical Admin

– Helen Frawley – Publicity Co-ordinator

2. Previous Meetings Minutes

– Nowt to report

3. Treasurer’s Report

– Matthew found some money in the Society account that he didn’t know where it had come from, but turns out it was the money Susps owed so it’s all good

– We need to wait a bit longer for our accounts to be updated

– MTB has not yet returned the mics or paid for the hire

– For future agreements, committee could add that a fee will be charged if mics are returned late, as the society may need them and they won’t be back in time

– The HotTUBBS money has been paid into their account

4. Actions Update

– Groups STILL need to upload a photo to social media

5. Group Reps’ Report

5.1 Suspensions

– They recorded the first bit of their music video on Wednesday

– They have recorded their ICCA submission video

– The MFC gig on Thursday was ok

– Matthew felt awkward singing Uptown Funk in front of vicars

– The curry was good according to Joe

5.2 Pitch Fight

– They have filmed their ICCA video

– They are doing a show for a member’s friend

– They have had an offer for a Reclaim The Night performance

5.3 Academy

– There is not much to say this week

– They are getting closer to having a 3 song set

– They want to do some gigs and learn a Christmas song

5.4 HotTUBBS

– They have changed their concert dress to a red shirt and black waistcoat for men and a dress (yet to be picked) for the ladies

– There have been 40 logo entries!

– One guy did 12!!!

– It will be voted on this week

– They need it finalised soon for publicity for the Christmas Show

– Deadline of 1st December

5.5 TUBBS

– Iain met with Revs and they are happy to do the joint concert

– Eleanor will contact BUJO

– A new song has been done with a Bass solo apparently

– Bowties are being considered in a way that would make them cheaper

5.6 Brizzle Box

– The new beatboxing group has a name, which is Brizzle Box

– Scott is the rep – welcome!

– They have 5 members, but might expand next term

– The goal is to do a variety of projects, including having a 5 mic set up

– Another workshop might be good

– They could do sets at society gigs

– They are aiming for a bigger set next term

– It would be good to have a song sorted for the Christmas Show to introduce the group

– They are aiming to be less performance-orientated and more having fun and doing little gigs

– Any groups having gigs could ask them to do a small set

– The group would like to be recognised as a group in the society

– Vote to recognise Brizzle Box as a group within the University of Bristol A Cappella Society

– Yes – 8

– No – 0

– Abstain – 2

– Unanimous yes! Woop woop (when we didn’t have quoracy lol)

– Let’s try again now more people are here!

– Brizzle Box is a recognised group in the Society!

– Should they send a rep to meetings?

– Someone can come along to meetings when required

– It helps to have a rep so stuff gets done more efficiently and keeps the group active

– Rehearsals are once a week, provisionally Thursdays 6-8pm

– Committee cries as this is a non-rehearsal day across the Society and a key committee meeting time!

– Dan keeps wanting to call it Brizzle Puffs

– Vote on whether Brizzle Box should send a rep to meetings

– Yes – 6

– No – 2

– Abstain – 2

– A rep must come to all meetings and Scott is the new rep on the Committee

– At this point, music started playing quite loudly in the Balloon Bar and Dan has gone to ask them to turn it down

– It’s been turned down but he’s still walking towards the bar #awks

ACTION:

  • Dan to add Scott to everything

ACTION:

  • Joe to discuss room bookings with Scott

6. Christmas Show

– Wednesday 14th December

– An event needs creating

– Dan’s made a cover photo

ACTION:

  • Helen to create an event

– All members need to be aware this is happening!

ACTION:

  • Group reps to tell members about Christmas Show

– There is a Singers concert the same night so Dan is going to discuss it with Stephen Rice

ACTION:

  • Dan to talk to Stephen Rice

– The name of the show can be University of Bristol A Cappella Society’s Big Christmas Show

– ‘Big Winter Blowout?’ – Iain Hallam 2k16

– It would be nice to do a Christmas song with everyone in the Society, like with Les Mis at the Spring concert

ACTION:

  • Justine to find Christmas songs in locker

– In terms of teching, we could get the risers in on Tuesday so TUBBS can rehearse in the Winston on that day

– Auditioned groups soundcheck on mics would be on Wednesday

ACTION:

  • Tash to think about timings for Christmas Show

– 7:30pm start, include 5 mins for Brizzle Box, and finish at about 10pm, with an interval

ACTION:

  • Jess to think about afterparty for performers

– An afterparty would be good at someone’s house, but if no-one is willing to offer up their house, we could just go out instead

– Last year, we had drinks in the Balloon Bar then went to someone’s house

– Dan would like a full set of mics for the show

– We have 9, and the Union has 2

– HotTUBBS are most likely not using mics, so we will need to find 4 mics, as Susps are down one person that night

– LeRoc Society might have 2 of good enough quality, so we could ask them

– £50 per week per mic, or £20 a day per mic from STA

– Members of STA are really keen to mix 16 mics

ACTION:

  • Dan to talk to LeRoc about mics

7. Christmas Meal

– Jess has booked Wildwood in Clifton for the Christmas Meal on Monday 5th December!

– Meal choices need posting on the group and a form can be created on the Union website alongside ticket sales

– Dan has done a cover photo

– An event needs creating ASAP – make it public so non-members can also join

– Members tickets to be released tomorrow (14th Nov) for £17.95

– We can release non-members tickets on 18th Nov for £19.95

– Afterparty – on a Monday – Lolas, Lounge, Mbargos?

ACTION:

  • Group reps to tell members about Christmas Meal

8. TUBBS Rehearsal Venue

– It is currently at St Pauls

– It’s super super cold and heating costs a fortune

– Lecture theatres would be better, such as Arts Lecture Theatre 1 and accompanying room like last year

– It might be easier next term to get bookings through LFM as TUBBS won’t be as big as at the very start of term

ACTION:

  • Joe to find out about TUBBS rehearsal venue

9. TUBBS Church Key

– On Tuesday, the church was not unlocked in time, so Nick went to get the key and the porter did not recognise him so would not give it to him

– Matthew had to go over to the Vic Rooms because the porter recognises him

– Could we send a list of people allowed to get the church keys?

ACTION:

  • Karen to email Margaret and Megan

– Elected Committee, TUBBS group reps and TUBBS MDs should be on the list

10. PantoSoc Mic Hire

– Nathalie is producing the PantoSoc Christmas show and would like to hire some mics

– 5 mics for 7 nights from Sunday 4th December

– STA can do so for £250

– Society can hire them out for £180

– They will HAVE to be returned immediately as the society will need them for the Christmas Show straight away

– There will be a penalty of £5 per mic per day they are not returned at the end of the hire period

ACTION:

  • Dan to create PantoSoc mic hire agreement

11. Upcoming Events

11.1 Workshops

– The Arranging Workshop did not happen on Saturday as Dan had too much going on

– It has been moved to Saturday 19th Nov

– LFM has been contacted about finding a room

– Try and film it!

11.2 Ensembles Showcase

– It’s actually quite soon!

– Tuesday 29th November

– Groups really really really need to encourage quartets to be created

ACTION:

  • Group reps to tell members to come to Showcase and get involved

ACTION:

  • Matthew to post about Showcase in members group Monday 14th Nov

ACTION:

  • Mike to post about Showcase in members group Tuesday 15th Nov

ACTION:

  • Lauren to post about Showcase in members group Thursday 17th Nov

ACTION:

  • Dan to post about Showcase in members group Friday 18th Nov

– All members should be members of the fb members group, and then be added to the event if they are not already

– HotTUBBS people have joined the meeting and James has asked Nathalie about a guy called Nick…Committee is curious

– We don’t have a venue yet as CHH has said no, so we are checking AR2 Bar in the Union

ACTION:

  • Dan to look into booking AR2

12. Booking Requests

12.1 Just Eat Lunch

– Ongoing and Tash is not here

13. AOB

13.1 Pegg Theatre Slot

– STA has said we cannot use the slot unless we do a show, so we cannot use it for a mic taster session

– Committee needs to get a session sorted before the Christmas show

– A Wednesday afternoon and evening in December would be good

13.2 Choreo Help

– Do the groups want advice on choreo?

– A workshop might be useful

– If Dan is running it, it might have to wait a while – Saturday 3rd December?

– Connie might be able to help if she’s up for it and around

– Saturday 3rd December at around 3pm

14. Cake Rota

– Nicolas

15. A Cappella Song Rota

– Dan

– Lauren chose a capella by Ylvis (Lauren is hoping the spelling is for irony)