University of Bristol A Cappella Society Committee Meeting – Sunday 27th November at 12pm

Present:

  • Dan Mailer – President
  • Joe Pickin – Vice-President and Suspensions Rep
  • Matthew Belsey – Treasurer and Equality Officer
  • Jess Kim – Social Secretary
  • Tash Orchant – Gigs Co-ordinator and Equality Officer
  • Justine Laurain – Musical Admin
  • Nathalie Perthuisot – Pitch Fight Rep
  • Nicolas Audinet – Academy Rep
  • Sam Butler – HotTUBBS Rep
  • Scott Lechleiter – Brizzlebox Rep
  • Iain Hallam – Mixed Chorus Rep
  • Previous Secretary Hannah has graced us with her presence!

In Attendance:

  • Lauren Garner-Jackson – Secretary

1. Apologies

– Helen Frawley – Publicity Co-ordinator

– Karen Lillywhite – Upper Voices Rep

– Mike Blitz – Lower Voices Rep

2. Previous Meetings Minutes

– Lauren needs to embed the music video for the weekly a cappella song in the minutes

– Our President doesn’t know where the minutes are on the website

– Lauren was not specific enough with her actions last week

3. Treasurer’s Report

– MTB have paid for the mic hire!

– Dan is the only one going to the Christmas Meal according to our accounts as the Union expenses app is very very very slow to update

4. Actions Update

– Joe is frustrated that some members of committee don’t know how to use Trello

– Arts Lecture Theatre 3 in the Arts Complex might be available for TUBBS rehearsals next term, which would save everyone from getting hypothermia in rehearsals at the church 

– The issue with Pitch Fight and Academy’s rehearsal venue has also been sorted as Joe has written an email for Dan to send to LFM with booking confirmation details

ACTION:

  • Dan to email LFM to confirm TUBBS room booking in Arts LT 3

– Joe just called Dan ‘Dad’ – it’s like being back in primary school!

5. Group Reps’ Report

5.1 Suspensions

– They have a gig on Tuesday for the University’s strategy planning event

– They performed at St Nick’s Market Christmas lights switch on – everyone was stood on a roof to perform and it was quite scary as it was slightly unstable

– Choreo was slightly restricted!

– There is a gig on Friday in Bath that Matthew was not aware was happening

5.2 Pitch Fight

– They got into ICCAs!!

– Reclaim the Night was a great success

– Singing Independent Women in a room of female activists was great fun

– Nick Jones attended the afterparty because he’s an independent woman

– They are performing at the Classics Christmas Show

5.3 Academy

– They recorded their first song this week

– They are getting ready for the Christmas show

– They have two songs down and one nearly finished

5.4 HotTUBBS

– Two songs are off music and they’ve finished Star Wars

– The logos are down to three options and are being decided on today

– Concert dress has been decided on and is being bought

– They have a gig next Sunday in Clifton at Royal York Crescent

5.5 TUBBS

– Their Fringe venue is provisionally booked!

– An event still needs to go up for the concert a week on Tuesday

5.6 Brizzlebox

– They are putting together their first song

– It should be ready for the Christmas Show

– They are one member down due to commitment issues

– People have been bringing some noise complaints at the rehearsal venue due to the bass of the mics, but Joe is looking into it

6. Fringe

– Matthew wants to know how many groups are going to want to borrow money from the Society to get to Fringe

– 2, maybe 3

– The Society cannot afford to pay for everything up front for all groups

– The Society can probably only loan £1000 per group which is something for the groups to consider when factoring in funding

– If the groups have any questions, ask people who have been before or organised Fringe or email people at the Fringe

– It needs to be established which members can feasibly go from each group

– The planned performance times for Suspensions and TUBBS overlap, which mainly affects James Dempsey (VP for Susps and T1 for HotTUBBS), but this can be looked at in due course

7. Society Ball

– A date could do with being set so planning can begin

– Something to consider is the ICCA semi-final on 25th March

– It was Tuesday 8th March last year

– Easter is later this year

– MTB’s show is something else to factor in

– W/c 13th March works well

– Friday 17th might be good because people don’t have uni/work the next day, but things can be more expensive on a Friday

– Tuesday 21st March looks alright, or the Wednesday or Thursday of the previous week

– It might potentially affect a few people in PantoSoc

– Wednesday 15th March is provisionally set as the ball date – how exciting!!!

– Surrounding dates could work too, including the weekend if things aren’t more expensive than weekdays

– Jess can ask members to get involved with the ball committee

ACTION:

  • Jess to look into ball venue

8. Upcoming Events

8.1 Ensembles Showcase

– Lauren saved the day and found a venue!

– It is in the function room upstairs at the Brewhouse pub on Cotham Hill

– Suspensions have the strategy planning gig at 8:15pm so Justine needs to factor in any performances this affects

– The ‘broken’ video camera was fine because the charging cable comes out of the camera

– TUBBS will finish its rehearsal early

– Food will have to be bought from the pub

8.2 Christmas Meal

– Tickets are still available as people are broke or already booked up

– Everyone needs to spam the various members groups ASAP

– Let’s ‘extend the deadline’

8.3 Christmas Show

– Dan still hasn’t had a meeting with STA

– Nathalie is on it #STAQueen

– There needs to be a producer, which Tash can do

ACTION:

  • Nathalie to talk to Tom Parry about STA meeting

– LeRoc’s mics are not suitable for the show

ACTION:

  • Dan to look into University’s mics to hire

– We need 6 more mics

– If STA could set up boundary mics, that would be good

– Joe thought a good way to advertise the show could be to get someone to share a post to win two tickets

– Tickets will be sold through UBU Theatre

– Prices need setting

– £5/£6/£8 is fairly standard

– Normal people can pay more so £5/£6/£50 yeah?

– It’s only one date and it’s going to be a big show so £5/£6/£8 is agreed

– Everyone on Committee needs to invite everyone they know to the event and get all members to invite everyone they know

– Programmes need to be designed soon

– Lauren wants glow in the dark programmes because they can never be read when the lights go down

– Ushers need to be found at some point

– Tash can be one of them

– Ramp up the hype!

9. Booking Requests

9.1 Open Day Performance

– It is a 50 min slot with rolling songs

– It’s on a Wednesday morning so no one can do it

10. AOB

10.1 TUBBS folders

– Justine went to buy some but they were very expensive

– She needs to look on Amazon

10.2 Locker

– The locker is a bit messy and could do with a clear out

– ‘Clear locker, clear mind’ – Matthew Belsey

– Joe is struggling now after a mad night out yesterday

11. Cake Rota

– Helen

– Reserve Joe

12. A Cappella Song Rota

– Jess

– Nicolas chose Nearer, My God, To Thee by BYU Vocal Point