University of Bristol A Cappella Society Committee Meeting – Sunday 11th December at 3:30pm

Present:

  • Dan Mailer – President
  • Joe Pickin – Vice President and Suspensions Rep
  • Matthew Belsey – Treasurer and Equality Officer
  • Tash Orchant – Gigs Co-ordinator and Equality Officer
  • Jess Kim – Social Secretary
  • Justine Laurain – Musical Admin
  • Iain Hallam – Mixed Chorus Rep
  • Scott Lechleiter – Brizzlebox Rep
  • Mike Blitz – Lower Voices Rep

In Attendance:

  • Lauren Garner-Jackson – Secretary

1. Apologies

– Helen Frawley – Publicity Co-ordinator

– Sam Butler – HotTUBBS Rep

– Nicolas Audinet – Academy Rep

– Nathalie Perthuisot – Pitch Fight Rep

– Karen Lillywhite – Upper Voices Rep

2. Previous Meetings Minutes

– Committee begins by discussing the subtleties of Christmas jumpers

– Joe did a terrible French impression of Justine, but 10/10 for trying

– Shade was thrown between Dan and Lauren over the level of detail in the minutes that Joe wrote

3. Treasurer’s Report

– Matthew has paid for the Christmas meal but it hasn’t been updated on the accounts yet

– We’ve got bare moneyzzz

– As far as Lauren is aware, Eleanor hasn’t yet bought associate membership and so categorically needs to before Wednesday’s show

– The TUBBS concert on Tuesday raised £129.70 for an as-of-yet unchosen charity

4. Actions Update

– Jess needs to post in the members group to ask if anyone can offer their house for the Winston afterparty

– Group reps need to send Dan a bio for their groups for Wednesday’s programmes ASAP

5. Group Reps’ Report

5.1 Suspensions

– Busking today was fun with generous Christmas crowds and cute kids (Joe’s words!)

– Their music video is coming out on Thursday!

– They were on BBC Radio Bristol at 5:30am on Saturday

– So many plugs!

5.2 Pitch Fight

– They were going to have a last minute rehearsal today but this can’t happen so intense rehearsals are happening in the next few days

– They are entering VoiceFest

– There is a VFUK deadline of paying entry fees on Friday 16th December and video entries by Friday 13th January – group reps be aware!

5.3 Academy

– They are having a last minute rehearsal now

5.4 HotTUBBS

– Sam isn’t here

– Lauren is going to take this opportunity to remind group reps to try and send someone in their place if they cannot make a meeting

– They are learning choreo next week

– They are having extra rehearsals for the Winston show and VFUK video

– They are filming their VFUK entry video this week

5.5 TUBBS

– They did a gig on Tuesday

– The performance was good but they had a very small audience

– There was a rumour that the first half wasn’t filmed, but it was so all is well

– Nick Jones saved everyone!

5.6 Brizzlebox

– Their first song is complete

– Nick has been busy and missed some rehearsals so they’re having more rehearsals

– They want to add at least one new member next term

6. Apparel

– Groups need to order their own t shirts etc through Shirt Tails to get the offer

– They should send their orders to them and say they are part of the A Cappella Society

7. Intra-society cohesion

– There is a fair amount of division in the Society between the auditioned and unauditioned groups

– This perhaps reflects in committee, with each group vying for its best possible position, rather than working together

– There could be a better sense of cohesion within committee and the Society to support each group

– It might be something to think about over the holidays

– It is, however, also quite tricky since there are still teething issues resulting from the merger last year

– It would be good to see members from other groups at individual group performances

– Group reps represent both their groups and the Society as a whole, so it is important for everyone to support the Society and its various groups within it

– Publicity should be sharing all group events on the Society page

– Should the committee know what goals the Society is moving towards?

– For example, aiming to have 3 groups perform at VFUK

– This is tricky to set as it comes down to the groups themselves – they cannot be forced into entering for example

8. Upcoming Events

8.1 Christmas Show

– The camera must be charged and have enough battery and memory!

– Dan might potentially have Rachael’s camera too, but he hasn’t asked her yet

– Dan might be able to ask the STA lighting technician to do some roaming filming when they are not doing anything

– Joe’s tired

– Everyone change their profile pics and plug plug plug!

– A video editing workshop next term might be good

– If there is room in the theatre, people not performing in the first half could watch the second half and vice versa

– No one can watch from the wings

– It might be possible to stream the concert on facebook or put a live stream in a dressing room

– It is decided to have a live stream with no prior warning from the facebook page

– Mike is happy to lend his laptop

– Committee can tell the members about it on the day so they can watch it on their phones/laptops in the dressing rooms

– Iain could stick a paypal link in the video description for people to ‘donate to the costs of the live stream’ lol

ACTION:

  • Dan add Iain as admin of Society fb page

– 50 tickets sold already!

– Tash still needs to find 2 more ushers

ACTION:

  • Group reps to ask members about ushers

– Members’ friends could do it and get a free ticket

– Call time is agreed at 6:30pm – EVERYONE should have eaten, be changed and ready to go then!

– It is decided that warm ups should be altogether as a Society

– Performers need to be briefed by STA about health and safety

– TUBBS will have 5 risers so need 6 people on Monday night to help move them to the Union

– Programmes are probably not going to happen as Dan has no time to do them

– Bios are still needed ASAP from group reps however for the compere

8.1.1 Compere speaking times

– Joe has found a compere from Improv (Patrick)

– How many times is he introducing people?

– Should TUBBS choruses have individual introductions?

– Will we ever get to the bottom of how Matthew maintains his luscious golden locks?

– Find out next week at an a cappella show near you!

– Brizzlebox is opening the show

– Patrick will then come on to allow for the Mixed Chorus getting on stage

– Committee agrees that HotTUBBS should have its own introduction

– HotTUBBS do not want the risers but there is loads of space in front of them on the stage

– This will mean the risers can be taken off during the interval, rather than taking up performance time

– There’ll be a backdrop with graphics on with the groups’ names on, like Nor’Easters’ #BONR

– #UOBACSBCS – get it trending!

– There should be an introduction for the second half before Academy to allow for those running up from the bar

– In the second half, time has to be allowed for groups swapping mics

8.1.2 Finale song

– Some feel that there should be a song at the end with all members involved

– This would not be very polished and would perhaps be a bit of a downer to the finale if it was something like Hark The Herald

– There just isn’t enough time now to rehearse it

– A joint song should be added to the gigs checklist for future concerts

ACTION:

  • Tash to add whole society song to gigs checklist

8.2 10th Anniversary Concert

– Helen needs to post in the committee group about this since she’s not at the meeting

– There has been some confusion over whether the Society or TUBBS is 10 years old

– This is definitely a discussion to be had next meeting

9. Booking Requests

10. AOB

10.1 TUBBS Concert Feedback

– BUJO what even

– The band manager didn’t tell the band the gig was happening and cancelled very last minute

– The TUBBS reps need to make use of committee members earlier on in the planning process in future

10.2 Videos from Videocamera

– The Ensembles Showcase videos need going on Youtube and the other videos on the camera need distributing to the relevant groups soooooon!

ACTION:

  • Dan to post Showcase videos on Youtube

ACTION:

  • Dan/Helen to distribute videos on camera to groups

11. Cake Rota

– Justine

12. A Cappella Song Rota

– Scott

– Joe had to leave for a rehearsal but has since informed committee that his song choice was Seize The Day by Westminster Chorus