University of Bristol A Cappella Society Committee Meeting – Tuesday 31st January at 8pm

Present:

  • Dan Mailer – President
  • Joe Pickin – Vice President and Suspensions Rep
  • Matthew Belsey – Treasurer and Equality Officer
  • Tash Orchant – Gigs Co-ordinator and Equality Officer
  • Jess Kim – Social Secretary
  • Justine Laurain – Musical Admin
  • Karen Lillywhite – Upper Voices Rep
  • Nathalie Perthuisot – Pitch Fight Rep
  • Sam Butler – HotTUBBS Rep
  • Scott Lechleiter – Brizzlebox Rep

In Attendance:

  • Lauren Garner-Jackson – Secretary

1. Apologies

– Helen Frawley – Publicity Co-ordinator

– Iain Hallam – Mixed Chorus Rep

– Mike Blitz – Lower Voices Rep

– Nicolas Audinet – Academy Rep

2. Previous Meetings Minutes

– 10/10 would read again

3. Treasurer’s Report

– Matthew transferred money from the cashbox to the Union account

– TUBBS needs to decide what to do with their share of the money from their Christmas concert

ACTION:

  • TUBBS reps to choose a charity for their Christmas concert money

4. Actions Update

– Stuff still needs doing and stuff has been done

– Special Events haven’t got back to Justine

ACTION:

  • Justine to re-email Special Events

5. Group Reps’ Report

5.1 Suspensions

– They are hyped for ICCAs!

– They are travelling with Pitch Fight to Exeter – cute!

– They have a gig on Friday for the EFM Gala Ball

– They are going to be on the radio next Sunday 11-12pm

– The radio people are going to ‘run into’ the Suspensions at the bridge on their journey across the West Country lol

5.2 Pitch Fight

– They are also hyped for ICCAs!

– They are busy drilling their set

5.3 Academy

– Committee reminds group reps to send a deputy in their absence to meetings

5.4 HotTUBBS

– They started a new song this week

– They should have £100 coming into the Society account for a gig from last term

– Sam is going to sort t shirts etc soon

– Sam is happy

5.5 TUBBS

– They had a rehearsal tonight

– There were loads of new people, but loads of people left at 6pm

– The split rehearsal time has changed because of room changes, which Karen believes may have made the rehearsal suffer somewhat

5.6 Brizzlebox

– Their auditions are on Thursday

– They are playing with the loop pedal

– They are interested in the Explore ‘17 gig on 9th Feb

– Thy are collaborating with TUBBS on a couple of songs, which is exciting

– They could be available for workshops, teaching VP etc, as well as weddings, Christenings and Bar Mitzvahs

6. Performing Arts Gets Poshed

– It would be good for the Society to get involved since all the other performing arts societies are

– Let’s do it!

ACTION:

  • Joe to tell Georgia that Jess will do PAGP

7. Liberate Your Language

– Matthew, Tash and Lauren went last week to a session on liberating your language

– In summary, read the room for context when considering using a potentially dodgy word

– MDs would probably benefit from a chat with the Equality Officers

– Scott would like there to be less French discrimination in the meetings

– They discussed with Aubrey and Imogen at the meeting about having a choice of performance outfits, rather than forcing people to conform to a ‘male’ or ‘female’ outfit

– The members should choose what they want to wear

– Concerning Pitch Fight and Academy, which are gender split, this should be considered for allowing anyone to join

– E.g. someone born male and identifies as female should not be stopped from auditioning for Pitch Fight

– This might hit difficulties when voice parts are considered – they might have a low bass voice and want to be in Pitch Fight and wouldn’t fit with the blend

– The groups could advertise for sopranos and altos instead of girls for example

– Maybe the sports teams should be asked to see what they do in that situation

– It is probably going to be on a case-by-case basis

– Can the Society be doing anything better to be more inclusive at the moment?

– Probably be careful with wording for auditions in future – e.g. Pitch Fight is for all self-identifying females

ACTION:

  • Matthew and Tash to create MD meeting doodle poll to send to Dan to post in MDs fb group

8. Doodle Polls

– Lauren is sad that it can take a very long time for people to fill out the doodle polls, which means she has to chase people up multiple times each week, and potential meeting times get lost

– If committee could fill the doodle polls out promptly when they are posted, Lauren will be eternally grateful

– Dan wishes for Lauren to take out the ‘dumb times’

– The polls will start at 10am rather than 9am from now on

9. Upcoming Events

9.1 Socials

9.1.1 Karaoke

– Friday 17th Feb

– Dan is meeting with Ben (Vice-Chair of RAG) soon to organise publicity etc

– RAG will promote the event

– Dan and Joe are MCing lol

– One of the Society’s groups could open it, which would encourage people to get there and start singing earlier

– Committee nominates Academy

– Committee then decides just to get everyone to show up on time and the first group who is all there can perform

ACTION:

  • Group reps to push karaoke for members

9.1.2 Scavenger Hunt

– Thursday 23rd Feb

– Jess and Lauren met to discuss tasks

– There is nowhere in the SU to book for meeting and eating pizza

– We could use the link space

– The Pegg is freeee

– Dan is booking it currently

– 6:30pm-8pm is booked

– Committee discovers most people have other people’s log in details for things #boundaryissues

9.1.3 Movie Night

– A poll needs posting for movie choices

ACTION:

  • Jess to post Movie Night poll

– The options are in last week’s minutes

– It is probably going to be after the Scav Hunt

– If it was in the Castle Room, we would have to remember to cover the light sensors again

– Friday 10th March, 8-11pm, Castle Room

9.1.4 Ball

– Friday 17th March

– Dan, Tash and Lauren went to see the Radisson Blu and it was lovely

– It is quite expensive

– Numbers have to start at 50 tickets

– £30 tickets would mean the Society would subsidise about £750 including photographer etc

– Maybe there could be early bird tickets at £30 then second release at £35, but people might not be on it enough and then be put off by the extra money

– 50 tickets at £30 might not work if only 50 people come

– £40 non-members tickets – not subsidised

– Ents tickets and non-members tickets might slightly help cover the costs

– The menu choice is limited to one option, but we could offer the veggie menu as an alternative

– If tickets sell out, we could do a second release for a bit more money

– The venue booking needs confirming by Thursday so Lauren will check the ents situation when emailing Emily at the Radisson

– Matthew and Lauren want DJ Morf from Lounge

– 55 tickets, with the Society subsidising £550, then photographer/props on top of that

– We need to close tickets sales before 3rd March

ACTION:

  • Lauren to confirm Radisson and ask for menu choices and check ents

– It is 6 ½ weeks away

– An event needs creating

– There should be one week’s hype for tickets sales

– Ticket numbers and meal choices need sending off on 2nd March

– It will have to be made aware that ticket numbers are limited to a certain number and will not be extended, then anyone who misses out will have to get an ents ticket

– 55 meals tickets at £30 each, non-members £40

– The theme is Hollywood

– ‘One of my dad’s friends is on the Oscars voting committee’ – Tash 2k17

– The awards will be of Dan’s face

– Forget the Oscars, we’ll have the Dans!

9.2 Acadapitchbox Concert

– Nathalie has created a PowerPoint outlining why the show should go ahead

– It’s really detailed!

– Committee decides it should go ahead, as it is likely the costs will be met by ticket sales

– Friday 10th Feb at 7:30pm in Winston Theatre

– £2/£3 tickets as it is an estimated hour long show

ACTION:

  • Helen to tell Performing Arts Page about Acadepitchbox Concert on Friday

– Committee should see how much money the show has made before deciding what to do with any profits

9.3 10th Anniversary Concert

– The Winston is free but there might not be anyone to crew it, so Committee is now waiting on STA to discuss this in their next committee meeting

9.4 Suspensions 29th April Gig

10. Booking Requests

10.1 Explore ‘17

– TUBBS are the only group that can do it

ACTION:

  • Dan to discuss Explore ’17 with Iain

11. AOB

11.1 Equality Survey

– It should be kept open for another week

ACTION:

  • Group reps to encourage members to fill in survey

– Then Tash and Matthew will have to do a report based on the results

– There have been 37 responses so far

11.2 Music Room Bookings

– The Society is not an option for when Scott books the music rooms in the Union

ACTION:

  • Joe to email Union about Music Room Bookings

11.3 Music Printing

– TUBBS music is printed on really good quality paper, so Matthew was wondering whether it costs more

– Justine does not believe it costs more

– Karen is the Paper Queen and is discussing paper weight

ACTION:

  • Justine to check printing prices

12. Cake Rota

– Lauren

13. A Cappella Song Rota

– Dan

– Dan chose Suspensions’ Everything Everything Medley