University of Bristol A Cappella Society Committee Meeting – Thursday 21st September at 6pm

Present:

  • Matthew Belsey – President and Equality Officer
  • Lauren Garner-Jackson – Vice-President and Bristones Rep
  • Cem Rifat – Treasurer and Academy Rep
  • Eleanor Leaper – Gigs Co-ordinator
  • Ella Horne – Musical Admin and Top Note Rep
  • Lottie Regan – Publicity Co-ordinator and Suspensions Rep
  • Scott Lechleiter – Brizzlebox Rep
  • Sam Butler – HotTUBBS Rep
  • Mike Blitz – The Tone Rangers Rep

In Attendance:

  • Beth Davies – Secretary

1. Apologies

– Natalie Egan – Social Secretary

– Rhianna Roberts – Pitch Fight Rep

2. Previous Meetings Minutes

– Beth needs to make them public so the rest of committee can enjoy them

3. Treasurer’s Report 

– Nothing to report

4. Actions Update

ACTION:

  • Matt mention aca-families in next email

– All female showcase idea is still in progress

ACTION:

  • El book somewhere for the showcase

5. Group Reps’ Report

5.1. Suspensions

– They arrived back from their tour of the USA yesterday!  (Currently suffering from some serious jet lag.) They had an awesome time and met loads of other a capella groups who will hopefully come and visit!

– They also performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and sold out on the last night!

– They have another gig coming up

5.2. Pitch Fight

– They will be appearing on the Sky show which they filmed over the summer. They had a very intense week of rehearsals for it and now have new costumes which they get to keep!

– They are performing at the Bristol Women’s Voice event at the end of the month

– They are re-auditioning all members to give feedback to existing members

5.3. Academy

– They will also be appearing on the Sky show and will be in the first episode which airs on 6th October. They had a great time filming but was a mix of stress and fun.

– They have 4 returning members and would like 12 in total. They are rebranding the group and have an exciting new logo oo

5.4. HotTUBBS

– A few of their members performed at the Fringe with TUBBS

– Sam has exciting plans for the year ahead

5.5. TUBBS

– They have returned from their legendary week at the Fringe; everyone had an awesome time and they sold way more tickets than anticipated, over 100 on the last night!

5.6. Brizzlebox

– They are looking for 2 more members this year and are making an event for auditions

5.7. The Tone Rangers & Top Note

– They are worried about numbers dropping this year so want to encourage everyone to come

– Top note has music in progress

5.8. The Bristones

– They are just finishing up some music and have some exciting arrangements finished!

6. Acafamilies

– The society needs more parents to make families so everyone should sign up and get married!

7. Socials

– There will be a committee social after the freshers fair on Friday

– On September 26th is the Taster Sesh social which will be ending in lounge

– 2nd October is the freshers bar crawl ending in pam pams

– It has been decided that Wednesdays would be best for an airhop social

ACTION:

  • Nat look into airhop

ACTION:

  • Nat make an event for freshers bar crawl

ACTION:

  • Nat look into family social

8. Fringe debrief

– The Suspensions had a great week at the fringe featuring many socials and a trip to Arthurs seat (cute photos were taken).

– Ticket sales were around 100 per night and they are currently unsure how much money has been made

9. Rooms

– After much stress Lauren has magically booked all society rehearsals (except 1 Suspensions rehearsal a week) in the Union.

– The Tone Rangers and Top Note are not rehearsing at the same time

– There is a strike system in place at the Union whereby the Society pay a deposit of £60 at beginning of the year and if 3 booked sessions are missed (without informing the union 24 hours prior) the society loses all their bookings for the WHOLE YEAR . Therefore if groups no longer require the room that is booked for them for one session they need to tell Lauren before 24 hours notice so she can inform the union.

ACTION:

  • Lauren look into Pitch Fight call back room

ACTION:

  • Lauren create society calendar

10. Best of the South West

ACTION:

  • Group reps ask members how many people they can host for the weekend

ACTION:

  • Nat organise a massive after party

– MDs need to be aware it is exactly a month today, i.e. very very soon!

– Each group will be performing one song so there will be 16 in total.

– Acts performing in the first half can watch groups in the second half and vice versa

ACTION:

  • Lottie to create a facebook event

– Runners are needed for the show and would be compensated with free ticket

ACTION:

  • Matt and El ask all groups what songs they’re performing

ACTION:

  • Matt and El to organise STA meeting

ACTION:

  • El to ask Nick to MC

11. Nottingham A Cappella Thing

– The Suspensions met the Nottingham a cappella society who are planning an outdoor summer aca festival and they have asked whether Bristol groups would be interested in attending/ performing

– The proposed dates are either 8-10th or 15-17th of June

12. General start of the year stuff

ACTION:

  • Beth make a poll to find regular committee meeting time

Year plan for groups:

– Suspensions – 2 weeks at the Fringe (maybe 3?!) A joint music video with Techtonics, A night in Maroon – (featuring the Techtonics, Semitoned and Suspensions), perform at the Redgrave again (potentially 2 nights this time), also looking for national lottery account for mics.

– Academy – want to go to the Fringe and enter Voicefest this year

– Brizzlebox -Looking to collaborate with hip hop society and maybe others, also looking to enter some competitions

– HotTUBBS – Want to do a music video this term, and are mixing up rehearsal ideas

– The Tone Rangers & Top Note – Excited to start the groups and get singing!

– Bristones – potentially look for deputy MD to support MD

13. Future concert dates

– The Winston theatre is booked for the Christmas concert on 13th, 14th &15th December

ACTION:

  • El ask BUMS about concerts around Christmas

14. Upcoming Events

14.1. Freshers Fair

– Committee on the stand need to get there early as there’s no fast passes this year

– Everyone needs to bring laptops with charge for sign ups

– Apparently there will be wifi but from past experience committee are not holding out much hope, so be prepared to use a phone for hotspotting

– There is a google form sign up sheet or excel spreadsheet for freshers emails

– Members can audition for all auditioned groups but are strongly recommended to only choose one, however they can be in multiple if the MDs agree

– The Suspensions are performing at 12.50pm and 4pm

14.2 Taster Sesh

ACTION:

  • Matt write taster sesh schedule

– All groups will introduce themselves at the taster sessions and elected committee should wear their red tshirts and introduce themselves

– Group reps should tell all members to come along!

ACTION:

  • Committee bring cake! (tell everyone at freshers fair there will be free cake)

15. Booking Requests

– ‘Above and beyond’ have asked the society to get involved so any future charity things could be done with them

16. AOB

ACTION:

  • create a Facebook members groups

ACTION:

  • Committee clear out the DVDs and CDs (keep one of each) from lockers so there is more room for music

ACTION:

  • Mike put recordings from the tascam onto a USB and put into the locker

– Plug from Mike- GWC are performing in February with a mystery quartet, everyone should go!

ACTION:

  • Mike to sort out TUBBS go fund me page and rewards

– The Society have had an offer of a grant which could be used on mics or venue hire

– Academy paid for rehearsal spaces in London for the Sky show and are asking whether the Society could subsidise the cost. Committee have decided they can use the £100 each group gets for competitions to cover costs towards this

17. Cake Rota

– Beth

18. A Cappella Song Rota

– The Nor’easters – Creeks