University of Bristol A Cappella Society Committee Meeting – Tuesday 13th March at 8pm

Present:

  • Matthew Belsey – President
  • Lauren Garner-Jackson – Vice-President
  • Ella Horne – Musical Admin and Top Note Rep
  • Jess Petrassi – Bristones Rep
  • Dan Mailer – Technical Coordinator
  • Thomas Brennan – Tone Rangers Rep
  • Robbie Armstrong – Webmaster
  • Olivia Witts – Equality Officer

In Attendance:

  • Beth Davies – Secretary

1. Apologies

– Rhianna Roberts – Pitch Fight Rep

– Eleanor Leaper – Gigs Co-ordinator

– Cem Rifat – Treasurer

– Natalie Egan – Social Secretary

– Lottie Regan – Publicity Co-ordinator and Suspensions Rep

– Edward Walker – Academy Rep

– Sam Butler – All Sharps Rep

– James Dempsey – Brizzlebox Rep

2. Previous Meetings Minutes

– REMINDER TO COMMITTEE TO PLEASE SEND APOLOGIES IF THEY CANNOT MAKE A MEETING

– Also Catt’s co-opted position is called friends AND alumni, not friends OF..

3. Treasurer’s Report 

– There is £530 in the external TUBBS account

– Committee would like to spend it all on biscuits (they would be very nice biscuits)

– The money in the account is from back when TUBBS was the whole society, meaning the money belongs to the whole society and will be put back into the main account

4. Actions Update

ACTION:

  • Cem pay the external TUBBS account money into the main society account

– The society website needs to be fully updated by 30th April in order to win gold in the balloon accreditation

– When updating the handover document people should try not to make changes whilst someone else is or all hell will break loose

– Some of the group reps still need to gauge interest on the barber workshop (for the next meeting)

ACTION:

  • Matthew re-download the trello app

5. Group Reps’ Report

5.1. Suspensions

– Dan doesn’t know what’s going on

– They’re learning Faith from Sing

– They’re polishing up their ICCA set

– They are preparing for their upcoming show – Tritone (Not a night in maroon)

5.2. Pitch Fight

– Not much is going on

– They are fine tuning their ICCA set

– They’re doing a new song!

5.3. Academy

– Matt saw someone had ripped jeans during their rehearsal (on snapchat)

– They’re doing a new song but seeing as Cem and Ed are not here no one knows what it is

5.4. All Sharps

– Sam is not here

– Committee reminds committee to send someone in their place if they can’t come

5.5. Bristones

– All is good

– You Will Be Found will be finished next week, apparently it’s from ‘Dr Van Hansen’..

– 2 new guys appeared today!

5.6. Brizzlebox

– ‘Who knows?’ – Matt

5.7. Top Note

– Ella wasn’t there this week but things are still going well

5.8. Tone Rangers

– They had their first rehearsal in a month last week

– There were no tenors which was a bit sad

6. The Octopus

– The photo of the octopus that Dan’s mum made is adorable

No automatic alt text available.

– Committee can choose the colours for the socks and the ‘booties’ (as Dan calls them)

– It could also have a hat and scarf (as shown in the photo)

– It could have different accessories for summer and winter!

– Committee need to decide on the colours

– The main part will be red (the society colour)

– The legs will be all different colours

– There will be black booties if Dan wants them

– The scarf and the hat are decided against for now, they could be possible add ons in future

– Of course Dan’s mum will be paid for her labour

7. Socialz

– Nat is not here to comment

– Also she was meant to bring cake so committee are hungry

– The aim was to have the quiz/ film night sometime next week, however the union is very busy

– A pub could be used for the quiz and then everyone could go to a union room later for a film

– The Odlum room is free on Thursday from 8pm

– The Stacey room is available on Wednesday evening (but committee are not keen to use it)

– However the aim was to be a non drinking social so having it in the pub may be going against that

– Most people think that wouldn’t be an issue

8. AGM Date

– Tuesday 24th April is the AGM date

– The ICCA FINALS are in New York the weekend beforehand, so the question is whether people would be back in time for it

– People are free to head back from the ICCAs whenever so if they wanted to stay they would know they’d have to miss it

– Also all documents need to be uploaded to the SU asap afterwards

9. Grant

– The 3 people travelling back early from the ski trip for the ICCA semi finals can claim back the money using the grant woo

– As long as it’s under £100

10. Rate my Group Survey

– Groups have until the 27th March to fill it in

ACTION:

  • Group reps get members to do the survey

– It’s how the union assess how good the society is, last year we did well so COME ON

– It is very very important that it is filled out

11. Berberwerksherp

– Amir has sent a message to ask to book the Anson Rooms 6-9pm on 30th April, however this is currently too far away to be able to booked

– Committee will continue this next week when Amir is here and group reps have gauged interest from their groups

12. Voting

– Matt is asking committee to vote for Stanford for union affairs officer

– He does great things for societies so it’s very relevant to everyone that he should be re-elected

– People tell friends!

13. Upcoming Events

13.1. Spring Concert

– El has sent a message to the group chat as she is not here

– WE HAVE THE WINSTON!

– El is going to have a meeting with them about it

– Committee have just been informed that the society have access to the PAF wardrobe!

– A show of ‘a cappella through the ages’ has been suggested

ACTION:

  • Group reps talk to MDs about lighting requirements for the show

– Groups are mostly performing 2 or 3 songs at the concert

– There will be a digital programme

ACTION:

  • Groups finalise set list by next meeting so the programme can be designed over Easter

ACTION:

  • El/ Lottie create programme for concert

– An event will be made nearer the time

14. Booking Requests

15. AOB

15.1. @Bristol Big Screen

– They are looking for local Bristol group music videos to show

– Groups should send in their videos!

15.2. Unauditioned group money

– Dan is asking whether there is anything the groups could be using society money on

– There is already enough money to cover music so it doesn’t need to be spent on that

– Committee are struggling to think of anything to spend it on currently

– It could be saved for a contribution for Fringe in the future

– It could be used to reach more people to join the society at the beginning of terms

– It could pay for sponsored posts on facebook, snapchat filters etc

15.3. Lockers

– There are 4 lockers currently full of music

– Committee are happy to digitalise music to save space

– Committee plan to swap the locker contents over for convenience, once there is less music in there

ACTION:

  • Digitalise the music library

15.4. Last Committee Meeting Social

ACTION:

  • Nat make a doodle poll to find out when it can be

– Matt finds the minutes from the last committee meeting 2 years ago and it makes absolutely no sense

16. Cake Rota

– Nat

– Please bring double the cake next time

17. A Cappella Song Rota

– Matt chose I Wish by Semi toned