University of Bristol A Cappella Society Committee Meeting – Friday 30th September at 5pm

Present:

  • Dan Mailer – President
  • Joe Pickin – Vice-President and Suspensions Rep
  • Matthew Belsey – Treasurer
  • Helen Frawley – Publicity Co-ordinator
  • Jess Kim – Social Secretary
  • Karen Lillywhite – Upper Voices Rep
  • Nathalie Perthuisot – Pitch Fight Rep

In Attendance:

  • Lauren Garner-Jackson – Secretary

1. Apologies

– Sam Butler – HotTUBBS Rep

– Tash Orchant – Gigs Co-ordinator

– Justine Laurain – Musical Admin

– Nicolas Audinet – Academy Rep

– Iain Hallam – Mixed Chorus Rep

– Tristan Bradshaw – Lower Voices Rep

2. Previous Meetings Minutes

– Dan has an issue with them but, as usual, he can’t remember what it is so clearly they were perfect

3. Treasurer’s Report

– Matthew’s found the Society’s money!

– When Susps paid for their accommodation for Fringe through the Union account, it happened at the same time as the Union account being updated

– Therefore, the money was taken out of both the old and new accounts, rather than just once

– Monika got really sad that we didn’t have any money

– The Society is back up to about £1500, then Susps are putting back in the £1100 they owe, so we should have about £2651, which isn’t accurate enough for Dan

– We need to make sure non-student members give their uni email addresses so we can add them to the Union system so they’re actually insured

ACTION:

  • All group reps to make sure new members of groups pay membership

4. Actions Update

– Dan still needs to update the equipment list

– Dan needs to tick off his actions of Trello… shameful

5. Group Reps’ Report

5.1 Suspensions

– Auditions and callbacks have happened

– Decisions will be made soooon

5.2 Pitch Fight

– Auditions have happened

– Callbacks are tonight with about 14 people for 9 places

5.3 Academy

– Nicolas isn’t here

5.4 HotTUBBS

– Sam isn’t here

5.5 TUBBS

– Rehearsals haven’t happened yet so there isn’t much to discuss

– The Music Team needs to have a meeting about where teach tracks are being kept

– Big TUBBS needs music sending to Justine for printing ASAP

6. Taster Session Review

– Things that went well:

– There was a good turnout

– It was a good format, as set out below:

  • 4:45-5:00  Set-up time
  • 5:00-5:10 – Mingling
  • 5:10-5:25 – Warmups
  • 5:25-5:30 – Quick committee introductions
  • 5:30-6:00 – I’m A Believer led by Eleanor
  • 6:00-6:20 – Break
  • 6:20-6:25 – HotTUBBS performance
  • 6:25-6:30 – Committee Introductions
  • 6:30-6:35 – Quartet performance
  • 6:30-7:15 – Bang Bang led by Dan
  • 7:15 – MD Introductions and final words

– Demos from the quartet and HotTUBBS were a good idea

– People liked the cake!

– It was a good song choice (I’m A Believer and Bang Bang) – they were upbeat and familiar

– An 8 part song was fine as there were enough people to fill the parts

– There were opportunities for beatboxers which was a positive

– The venue (WMB Great Hall) was good as everyone knew where it was

– The mic was a useful thing to have

– The sound was good, even with the echo

– Giving info went fairly well

– Things that could be improved:

– Charge the mic!

– Section leaders could have been given teach tracks sooner to be better prepared

– Having the introductions at the start would have been better

– Beatboxing perhaps was an afterthought – none of the girls had the chance to beatbox, only tenors since they were done early

– The date clashes with a lot but it’s a busy week so it’s inevitable

– Two lots of auditions had already happened which was a bit awkward

– It would be better to have all auditions after the taster session

– There was quite a bit of technical coaching in the warm up which isn’t what the point of the session was about

– For example, working on harmony straight away might scare some people off

7. One Auditioned Group Only Policy

– Perhaps this year isn’t an ideal time to implement it

– It’s not been prepared the way it should have been

– All the auditions are happening at different times

– People didn’t know it was officially the case when they auditioned

– It might be better if we had one audition for all groups and they choose which groups they want to be considered for, but this is perhaps something for the next committee to consider

– Having seen the auditionee numbers for Susps, Academy and HotTUBBS, it might cripple Academy and HotTUBBS if auditionees chose Susps because the other groups don’t have a lot of men auditioning

– The commitment issue with Academy this year was probably at least partly due to the fact it was created during the year and had many Susps members in who were already established committed members of Susps

– This might be a policy to discuss at an AGM to hear the views of the members

– Emails with audition decisions will be sent out by all groups on Monday evening at a time agreed by group reps/MDs

– The emails have to contain the statement “If you have received offers from multiple UoBACappella auditioned groups, we recommend that you only become a member of one. You may become a member of more than one if you are certain you can fully and equally commit to both.”

ACTION:

  • Dan to post the statement in relevant groups

– Everyone needs to be ready to send out back up emails too

– Vote on removing the rule we voted in last week and replacing it with a mandatory statement in all emails and all emails to be sent out at the same time!

– Yes – 7

– No – 0

– Abstain – 1

– On a different note, MDs need to encourage auditioned group members to come to TUBBS rehearsals

8. Making Claims

– The process has changed quite a lot

– It’s all done on a mobile app called eXpense365

– Committee has been sent a guide on how to use it by Matthew

– You still need to upload receipts and invoices as proof

– Someone needs to tell Jon there’s a new system so he can still claim for refreshments

– Matthew and Dan can check our balance etc on there too

9. Beatbox Group

– Quite a few people were interested in beatboxing at the taster session so we could maybe put on a workshop every term perhaps

– It would encourage more people to try it out and to audition for beatboxing

– It might encourage first years to get into beatboxing earlier on in uni

10. Rock Group

– A member wants to start a rock group, probably on an informal basis

– Musical Admin is in charge of new groups so needs to encourage its founding

ACTION:

  • Justine to talk to Melanie about the group

11. HotTUBBS Logo

– HotTUBBS needs a logo!

– Sam needs to talk to members about a design at some point

12. Unlocking Church For TUBBS Rehearsals

– Historically, TUBBS VP would unlock the church for rehearsals, using the key kept at the Vic Rooms

– Now there is an expectation, but not an obligation, for committee members to go to TUBBS rehearsals, so it shouldn’t necessarily be a committee member who is in charge of this

– Dan is going to show Lauren, Helen and Karen how to unlock the church, and perhaps also Matthew and Joe, so multiple people can share the responsibility and know what to do

– We need to respect the fact that Revs is making a compromise with their rehearsal space and be out of the church on time

13. Matthew’s Meeting Venue Outrage

– Matthew used to live really close to MFC and now lives far away so is upset by the fact that the meeting was a trek away

14. Time Of Future Meetings

– Lauren is going to scrap the huge doodle poll she did and just do polls on a rolling basis each week to decide on meeting times

– Committee HAS TO BE prompt with filling out the poll or Lauren will cry, which won’t be pretty

15. Upcoming Events

15.1 Auditions

– Still happening

15.2 Freshers Bar Crawl

– Jess is going to talk to Mbargo and Spoons tonight about deals

– We’re going to Lola Los and Dan’s sorting it apparently

16. Booking Requests

16.1 Flashmob

– They didn’t reply to Tash so we’re assuming this isn’t being taken any further

16.2 Ronald McDonald

– They want HotTUBBS again

– Lauren believes Sam is dealing with them

ACTION:

  • Sam to organise gig

16.3 Wedding Enquiry

– Saturday 8th April 2017 at Thornbury golf club at around 3pm

– They would like a 20 minute set during the drinks reception

– The bride wants something “different and light-hearted”

– She wants something small, around 5 or so, with a barbershop quartet arrangement with a “modern up tempo style”

– Tash has asked if they want any particular songs but she hasn’t let her know yet

– Tash has quoted her around £150 for half an hour but has said it depends on the chosen group

– We don’t yet have a group that could perform because it’s the beginning of term but we’ll come back to it

– We maybe need to consider setting out prices for different gig requests since £150 is quite cheap for a wedding

17. AOB

17.1 Quartets and Ensembles Fair

– Tuesday 18th October

– Perhaps in Anson Rooms

ACTION:

  • Joe/Justine/Tash to find a venue

17.2 Publicity Workshop

– Matthew thought some of the audition events on fb should have been publicised better and more people should have been added to them

– Group reps might benefit from a discussion/workshop to encourage post reach for example

– The Society page should share group fb posts wherever possible to expand reach

– Committee should invite everyone they know to all the events going on

17.3 Merchandise

– Karen would like TUBBS t shirts as only people who went on tour with TUBBS two summers ago have them

– This is something for Helen and TUBBS reps to decide

– Karen thinks we should have UoBACappella pin badges to wear for concerts and rehearsals

– It would unify all the groups

– It might be difficult to fund

– We could have the society logo on the sleeve of all group t shirts instead, but this might be costly, so we could find a t shirt sponsor such as Shirt Tales

– We could get members to buy merch off our Café Press account so they can choose to buy things within their budget

ACTION:

  • Joe to look into t shirt deals/sponsorship

18. Dream Report

– Skipped this week

19. Cake Rota

– Matthew

20. A Cappella Song Rota

– Lauren chose ‘Who Even Listens To A Cappella?’ by Choral Stimulation

– Next week is Joe